1 Peter 4:7-11
Download Sermon Notes
The End is Near: Live Like you know how the story ends
1 Peter 4:7-11 The End Is near
Live like you know how the story ends
We know through the stories in the bible that Jesus is victorious. We see Jesus’ victory all throughout the scripture. In this passage we see Peter telling us to live like we know how the story ends.
Peter gives specific ways for us to live like we know how the story ends:
1) The End is Near
So, if we know the ending of the story, Peter calls us to live like it by being alert and sober-minded à FOR PRAYER.
- This is the idea of being watchful and ready and practically wise.
- Evaluating our decisions and our actions and our day to day living through by the idea that
- (1) we are just passing through as aliens/exiles – remember how Peter opened this letter calling the people of the churches exiles – so that we don’t get too comfortable or settle in AND
- (2) Jesus is coming back and most of the things we worry about and invest our time and resources into won’t really matter.
- Luke 12:35-36 reminds us to be dressed in readiness
2) Love Fervently
Hear Peter’s words à love is something to be maintained.
We must work to maintain relationships with spouses, children, friends, etc
- 1 Corinthians 13 tells us that love covers a multitude of sins.
- If we love each other, maintain constant love for one another – we will quickly forgive when people offend us
3) Biblical Hospitality aka “Love of Strangers”
- Biblically speaking, when we practice Biblical hospitality we place the emphasis on the guest not the host.Meeting needs of our guest – serving and loving them like family – this is the picture of Biblical hospitality.
- What does it look like to live like you know the ending – to be hospitable without complaining
4) Use Your Gifts for God’s Glory
Just as each one has received a gift, use it to serve others, as good stewards of the varied grace of God.
When it comes to gifts – there are a couple of things we needed to be crystal clear on:
- Each of us has a gift
- We are given a gift to USE it.
- Gift are given to bring glory to God.
- Gift envy is real and it is sinful
- You can work against this by acknowledging and praising others gifts often.
How does this make any sense at all??? Hear me – it only makes sense to live this way if you’re confident in the ending. Remember the first phrase we looked at today – The end of all things is near. The end is near. Are you confident in the ending?
If you aren’t confident in the ending, call, text, DM, PM, send a message on RedemptionManatee.org, whatever you want to do to chat with us. We want to share the end of the story with you